Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Queens Indian v. Bogo Indian (Read 30667 times)
Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Re: Queens Indian v. Bogo Indian
Reply #10 - 03/28/06 at 22:37:44
Post Tools
I for one had to look this up. I've heard about it all right -- it's the perfectly common 4 Bd2 c5 -- but I had no idea it had a name. So who or what was/is Vikoni?

As for dullness, well, it doesn't exactly set the board alight, but then I guess some lines are strategically quite interesting even if I suspect some might not be! So come on Strptzr -- sell it to us! What plans are available to Black? Have there been exciting new ideas here recently?

IP Logged

Strptzr

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #9 - 03/28/06 at 11:48:53
Post Tools
have you ever heard about the VIKONI-variaition of the Bogo. And if so, what the heck is dull about it ?

IP Logged

Ptero

When all else fails, read
the instructions.

Reply #8 - 03/26/06 at 20:21:13
Post Tools
I would recommend the QI to complement the Nimzo. It is richer and more complex then the Bogo (which I think is rather dull) and gives you much better winning chances. I took up both the QI and the Nimzo as a defensive system to 1.d4 when I was very young and have played them usefully throughout my life (my OTB rating is around 2150). My favorite theme in this openings is playing for a K-side attack with b6, Bb7, Bb4, Nf6-e4 and f5, and there are many other aggressive plans as well as positional subtelties. You would be surprised, for example, how many times I have castled Q-side in the Nimzo-Qi hybrid (1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 b6 4.Nc3 Bb4) and went on to checkmate my opponent. All in all, I think the QI is the perfect choice here.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #7 - 03/26/06 at 16:38:56
Post Tools
I'm sure we can agree to disagree here, and I accept that the Benoni is under a bit of a cloud, but even if it is difficult, it does give Black some serious winning chances.  In itself, the Modern Benoni is rather easy to learn (not moves, but ideas), and provides Black with decent chances of fighting for the center.

I don't have anything against the QID or the Bogo-Indian, but the QID can be rather tame compared with the Nimzo, since the Nimzo establishes some important imbalances in the position by doubling White's pawns.  By opening the e-file for Black, the Benoni offers some interesting counterplay as well.  My other sense is that BECAUSE the QID is the focus of so much theoretical analysis at the moment it can be difficult to learn and keep up.  Better, in my opinion, to start with an opening whose theory is a little more static and claim it as your own.

As for the Blumenfeld, a big part of its appeal is that it is less studied and that you can catch White off-guard (my instinct is that this is easier than one might think with the Benoni as well...).  There are some rich lines here and ample opportunities to blaze new trails, which I always find attractive.

Matter of taste, though...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #6 - 03/26/06 at 15:55:57
Post Tools
The Modern Benoni is a very interesting opening, but in my vew not the kind of opening to start playing these days. If someone have it on his repertoire it´s ok but not to start right now because it is a riskier option. Taimanov lines with Bb5+ are very dangerous for black and that is the reason why a few time ago, players only enter the Modern Benoni when white had played his knight to f3 and not to c3 to avoid Bb5+ line. The problem was that white in more positional lines like modern main line or others with the knight on f3 found ways to steal counterplay to black and black position is viewed as riskier. Between the two I found Modern Benoni more interesting but I would not advice to start playing it for a player who doesn´t have it in his repertoire. Of course until master, every opening is playable but the perfect choice for the Nimzo-Indian player is in my view the Queen´s Indian because both openings share similar ideas and themes in the spirit of his creator Nimzowitch. Again, Bogo-Indian shares same ideas too, like giving the bishop and playing d6 and e5 structure and Benoni is a diferent opening in this way.

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #5 - 03/26/06 at 15:02:22
Post Tools
The other alternative is to play the Modern Benoni (1 d4 Nf6 2 c4 e6 3 Nf3 c5) or the Blumenfeld (1 d4 Nf6 2 c4 e6 3 Nf3 c5 4 d5 b5).  Both are reasonable alternatives and will reward thoughtful preparation.

The Blumenfeld, in particular, has some surprise value and produces some interesting positions...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #4 - 03/25/06 at 23:16:24
Post Tools
Queen´s Indian or Bogo? This is a good question I had a few weeks ago and my aswer is: Queen´s Indian had a theory that is more interesting and the positions with Ba6 are dynamic. The Bogo in my view is playable, but is less interesting and a bit too solid, I think the Queen´s Indian is better to play against all kinds of players. In books, Queen´s Indian had Starting Out The Queen´s Indian- Aagard a very good book to start and Queen´s Indian by Yrjola is a great book! In a few weeks we have the new book Chess Explained- Queen´s Indian defence by Yermolinsky explaining the plans of the opening! For Bogo Indian the Steffen Pedersen book of Gambit is the best choice since the cd from New in Chess is not a fantastic product. I do not know the outstanding booklet of Bogo. What booklet is that? For me, to choose an opening, we need a good book on ideas, one with detailled variations and a good cd (usually from Chessbase) with games well anotated. In view of this criteria and with the books available, my choice is the Queen´s Indian, a great defence according to Kramnik and it is possible to learn from Karpov games too, not to tell that there is a lot more theory published for example in fantastic New in Chess Yarbooks.

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

Strptzr

Reply #3 - 11/28/05 at 03:53:43
Post Tools
It is a fact that there is a lot more literature on the QID.
But there is also an outstanding booklet on the Bogo, so...
(And also a CD on the 'Bogo-Catalan).

IP Logged

DAX

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. ..........

Reply #2 - 11/25/05 at 19:41:10
Post Tools
If my opponent steers clear of my cherished Nimzo I will play 3.)...b6 (Queens Indian) for a few simple reasons......

1.) Alot more published theory on the Queens Indian
2.) I belive it tends to be a bit more solid then the Bogo

Don't get me wrong though I do have a strong interest in the Bogo! I plan to incorperate it into my own arsenal in time!!!

IP Logged

Strptzr

Reply #1 - 11/25/05 at 10:27:40
Post Tools
I think the Bogo is the more interesting of the two, because your choice as to which direction you want to lead the game into (solif vs wild) is wider...

IP Logged

Sterling

Queens Indian v. Bogo Indian
11/24/05 at 17:32:18
Post Tools
For my chess career I have almost always played the Budapest Fajarowicz and the Slav against the 2.nf3 move order.  I am trying to move into something more solid, so I now play the Nimzo-Indian and am debating between the bogo indian or the queens indian to accompany that.  What do you guys think?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo